Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coffee in China

If you know anything about the Chinese culture you probably know that the people drink tea and not much coffee. To say that you were simply drinking tea is insignificant. The Chinese make a point to describe it as having tea, which is a wonderful experience that seems like an environmental worship ceremony. They constantly remind you to smell the aroma of earth, feel the warmth of the clay cup in your hands, and by consuming the tea you're tasting earth, fire, and water.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experiences having tea in China, however, I have had a long-standing love affair with coffee. Anyone addicted to coffee knows that only coffee can slake the craving. Knowing that I might have trouble locating a coffee shop I brought some ground beans along. However, I forgot to bring a French press. What follows is the process I went through to make my daily dosage.





First, you'll need to consume a canned beverage.








Following consumption,
flip can and insert approximately seven,
needle-sized holes in the shape of a circle.
Rinse can thoroughly.






Third, apply favorite team's can coolie
which doubles as a can-stays-warm.
If favorite team is not pictured,
how do you live with yourself?








Next, cut a small square from paper towel.








Place square in tea leaf strainer.









Square assumes role of coffee filter.








Add ground coffee to makeshift coffee filter.







Place filter inside tea maker.
Poor hot water into can's mouth.
Watch water begin saturating grounds.
Marvel at my ingenuity as your coffee materializes.
Enjoy you're high octane beverage.





This is only one way to make coffee in lands afar. You might have another, more efficient way to make it. If so, speak up. Also, if you have other incredible ways of making beverages or foods at home or in distant lands please attach a link or add a post.

2 comments:

christine allegra said...

don't ever change

Anonymous said...

Mike:

Very cool! Improvised coffee is a thing of beauty.

I got one of these a few months ago, and it's become an indispensable part of my day. It's cheap, easily transportable and makes fantastic coffee.